Wednesday, February 11, 2009

8th Annual Buzzfree PROMise Dress Giveaway..

Not often enough do we as a society applaud our young people for doing the right thing! I welcome the opportunity and have always been pleased to work with and create initiatives and organizations that give credence to the positive young people around us.

Buzzfree and Buzzfree Prom were founded in 2002 by Dallas resident, entrepreneur and consumer promotions expert Liza Orchard. Buzzfree Prom supports and rewards students who pledge to be alcohol and drug free on prom night, with a free NEW (or gently used) prom dress! This year the program will also give away between 25 to 40 tuxedo's for young men. Since its inception in 2002, Buzzfree has grown and is now a national prom safety program reaching high schools in over 42 states.

Here locally, 8 school districts are participating in this years program. In today's economy, this type of program is even more important in helping families that are struggling financially. I am honored to have been selected as this years Community Champion Chair (spokesperson) for the event! I attended an event with some of the young ladies yesterday (especially the two young ladies from my alma mater Lincoln) and it warmed my heart and my only desire is that they would have a much better prom experience than I did!


If you have a new or GENTLY used dress, you should donate it to a worthy cause! Please visit http://www.buzzfree.com for more information or you can message me!

On February 28th, 2009 at St. Luke UMC Zan Holmes Community Center, the young women and young men will attend workshops, choose their FREE dress and experience a fashion show produced especially for them! Mr. and Mrs. Jones of Jones 2000 (who I modeled for in high school) are producing the show and are wonderful assets to our community. The young men and young ladies will be taught separately to ensure concentration and comfort! This year they are also adding mandatory workshops for the parents dealing with topics such as drug trends, adolescent brain development and the legalities of hosting parties for minors where alcohol is present.

I look forward to sharing with the young ladies and young men on February 28th and hope that I can be of some inspiration to them that anything is possible even for a young person from the hood that others have counted out!

We have to continue to encourage our kids and support them in their positive endeavors and we can not be afraid to discipline them when it is needed! I look forward to you too joining in to uplift our kids and not tear them down!


Let's Go To Work!

No comments: